- Will there be cups at the aid stations?No, please bring your own cup for use at aid stations; there will be no paper cups available. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but this worked very well last year and saved over 4,000 cups from going into the landfill. Find a cup now and practice carrying and drinking from it over the next few months. UltrAspire has a great cup for sale at www.ultraspire.net, and REI has options as well.
- What if there are last-minute course changes?Any course changes will be posted here, and announced through social media, and emails, as appropriate.
- What will the weather be like?Race day can be hot and sunny, cool and foggy, rainy, muddy or a combination of ALL of the above! Sunscreen is advisable; so is a light jacket.
- Do I need a headlamp?Yes, it will be pitch dark when you start so you’ll need a headlamp, or just a cheapo flashlight, for the first 90 minutes up the trail, since dawn is not until 6:00-ish. If it’s a cheap light, you can drop it in the cardboard “light box” at Cardiac or Muir Beach and we’ll have the box at the finish then donate whatever isn’t picked up. Do not drop a valuable light into the light box; use a drop bag. (If you left a nice headlamp last year, please e-mail me! I do have about 10 still looking for their owners.)
- When can I pick up my bib number?Bib pick-up is at San Francisco Running Company May 4 – 6, or at check-in on race morning.
- What’s the final cutoff?You have 15 hours and 30 minutes (this is 30 minutes shorter than 2014, due to Park Regulations) to complete the course and must abide by cutoffs enforced by aid station personnel.
- What food and drink will be at the aid stations?Aid stations are stocked with water, electrolyte drink, Coke, boiled potatoes, chips, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, hummus roll-ups, pretzels, salt, bananas and canteloupe. Bring your own cup (there will be no paper cups at aid stations) There will be soup in the evening at Randall (okay, there WILL be cups there in the evening for hot soup only). Because of the trash issue, the Park Services no longer allow race management to offer individual gel packets at the start or at aid stations. You can bring your own GU, Hammer Gel, etc.; we just can’t hand it out.
- Is there a waiting list?There will not be a waiting list this year. I accept extra runners up front so that everyone has the same opportunity to train, make reservations, get a babysitter, etc. This means that a withdrawal prior to race day does not create a space in the race. It just brings us down closer to our park service permit level. A $75 refund for withdrawal is offered until March 5.
- (I will add to this list as the race gets closer and I receive more questions that belong on the FAQ.)>